How Strict is AirAsia Carry On Baggage Policy 2020 -COVID-19
New AirAsia Cabin Baggage Policy 2020 is challenging for passengers flying with the low-cost carrier because of the COVID-19.
For years I have flown for work with a piece of cabin baggage and a one laptop bag with a total weight of 7kg.
With the implementation of AirAsia New Cabin Baggage Policy During COVID-19, everyone’s cooperation is needed to ensure that a smooth, memorable journey with the airline.
Ensure you are eligible to travel for both international and domestic flights
Guests are responsible for ensuring that they are eligible to travel before booking a flight.
AirAsia encourages guests the restrictions or regulations imposed by the respective countries before booking your flight. Check for Countries with Travel Restrictions listed here.
All AirAsia guests will be required to bring their own mask and wear it properly.
The mask must be worn before, during, and after the flight- includes check-in and bag collection.
Guests without a mask will be denied boarding.
Pre COVID-19 AirAsia Carry On Baggage Policy 2020
“Each guest is allowed one piece of cabin baggage AND 1 laptop bag OR 1 handbag on-board. The main cabin baggage shall not exceed 56cm x 36cm x 23cm and does not weigh more than 7kg. This baggage should also be able to fit under the seat in front of you or the overhead compartment.”
AirAsia Carry On Baggage Policy 2020 – New Policy During COVID-19
There are a few changes to AirAsia Carry On Baggage Policy implemented immediately. I received the notification via email: COVID-19: Flying safe with AirAsia
AirAsia is taking steps to facilitate social distancing, especially during embarkation and disembarkation.
Carry-on cabin baggage
AirAsia will only allow ONE piece of cabin baggage, not exceeding 5 kg for each guest. This is to help minimize unwanted contact between one and another guest’s luggage and vice versa.
Travelers can bring onboard ONLY ONE (1) piece of cabin baggage, which means a SINGLE item: only ONE piece and NOT two pieces.
You can bring 1 laptop bag OR 1 handbag OR 1 Small Bag.
The allowed ONE item must also comply with the following conditions to be carried into the aircraft cabin.
- MUST NOT exceed 40cm (Height) x 30cm (Width) x 10cm (Length)
- MUST NOT weigh more than 5kg
The AirAsia New Cabin Baggage Policy During COVID-19was published in their website FAQ section, and you can read it here.
What if my luggage exceeds the permitted cabin baggage limit? How to pre-book add ons?
Can I bring my wheelchair on board?
If you use a wheelchair or mobility device to get around – please refer to their FAQ on wheelchairs and mobility devices on board.
What items does it prohibit from being carried in my baggage?
Apart from prohibited items, keep in mind the limitations of liquids, aerosols, and gels (LAGs).
LAG items such as drinks, creams, perfumes, sprays, gels, and toothpaste must be in containers
- 100 ml / 3.4oz (volume)
- One hundred grams (weight) or less.
All LAG containers should fit comfortably in a transparent re-sealable plastic bag.
Is there any cabin luggage allowance for my children traveling with me?
Children above age two years will be allowed the baggage allowance as accompanying adults. Infants below the age of 2 years are not allocated any cabin baggage allowance.
Baby strollers/buggies/prams can be carried free of charge as checked baggage provided; they are being used by a child or an infant. Otherwise, a checked baggage allowance must be purchased.
Pack it baby strollers or foldable baby strollers are allowed as cabin baggage as long as it is within AirAsia’s cabin baggage allowance.
You can find out more travel tips FAQ: What do I need to know when traveling with an infant or a child.
What if I buy Items at the Airport?
Everything you buy at the airport will form part of your cabin baggage allowance. The only items that are exempted from your cabin baggage allowance provided it is within the duty-free allowance of your destination country.
Duty-free items must pack in a sealed Security Tamper-Evident Bag (STEB). This must be sealed until your destination, and you need to show proof of purchase.
Regulations regarding the carriage of duty-free items may vary depending on each airport operator’s policies. If unsure, please check with your local duty-free store personnel.
Please arrive early at the airport – preferably 3 hours before departure – to allow for enough time for all the necessary processes to take place.
How safe is the AirAsia aircraft?
AirAsia aircraft cleaning. Aircraft will undergo disinfection, including a deep clean performed using cleaning agents under Airbus Aircraft Maintenance Manual (AMM) by professional cleaning teams.
Every night stop, aircraft goes under a thorough 2-hour cleaning procedure, in compliance with instructions from health authorities.
What are the safety precautions taken by AirAsia?
AirAsia Pre-flight safety precautions
- Temperature screening will take place at different checkpoints, including boarding gates
- Cabin crew will go through temperature checks after every shift
- Social distancing will be observed with floor markers at queuing areas, including check-in counters & kiosks
- Alternate check-in counters will be opened to keep social distancing
- Hand sanitizers will be available through journey processing point for guests and staff
- The cabin will be disinfected via aerosol spraying before departure of all domestic and international flights
- Pre-flight briefings on safety and hygiene will be conducted for all boarding cabin crew to ensure we are consistently following the most up-to-date advice
- Contactless web and mobile check-in to reduce surface and physical contact in check-in and boarding processes
AirAsia In-flight safety:
- All AirAsia aircraft are fitted with HEPA filters generally used in hospitals, which filter out particles and airborne contaminants such as viruses and bacteria
- All cabin crew will be in protective equipment including masks and gloves
- We will observe seat distancing, when flight occupancy allows, for guests to move within respective zones, under cabin crew’s guidance
AirAsia Food Safety
- All meals are produced and packaged hygienically following strict food safety requirements
- All production staff will regularly be monitored on COVID-19 guidelines
- Cabin crew handling menu items will wear disposable gloves
- Cabin crew are well trained to assist with any medical situation inflight including identification and isolation of anyone onboard who may feel unwell
- Temperature checks will occur before arrival to destinations where temperature screening is mandatory
AirAsia Arrival Safety
- Health declaration forms will be handed out to be filled out before or on arrival
- The thermal screening will take place upon arrival
- They will ask Transit passengers to stay at the airport
- Mandatory quarantine may take place as per regulations at your destination country
This AirAsia New Cabin Baggage Policy During COVID-19 is temporary according to their website, so please adhere to new interim rules.
AirAsia Travel Notices
Given the COVID-19 pandemic that has led to extensive and increasing border restrictions imposed by various countries, AirAsia Group would like to announce that it is temporarily hibernating most of its fleet across the network.
SmartDory wishes all travel safe and always clean your hands, wear a face mask, and don’t touch your face. Stay healthy, stay Safe.
P.S. the Little Fish is staying home during MCO